Manuka Honey is made by bees that have collected nectar from the Manuka plant, which grows abundantly throughout New Zealand and in some parts of Australia.
What makes Manuka Honey so special?
While all honey generally has an antibacterial effect, Manuka Honey has particularly high levels of a special chemical compound called methylglyoxal (MGO). The higher the levels of MGO, the stronger the antibacterial effect. And unlike other antibiotics, it seems that MGO doesn’t cause bacterial resistance, which is bad news for superbugs that cause dangerous infections!
Manuka Honey also has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
What conditions can Manuka Honey help with?
Research shows that Manuka Honey can be effective in treating:
- Skin health: helps ease the symptoms of eczema and dermatitis (and nappy rash!).
- First-aid for skin: helps minor burns and wounds to heal.
- Cold & flus: Manuka Honey can help soothe sore throats and ease a cough.
- Digestion & immunity: some research is showing that Manuka Honey may be beneficial for digestive health and improving immunity.
- Mouth health: Manuka Honey may help to prevent gum diseases like gingivitis by slowing the buildup of plaque on teeth.
Do QueenBee Pure products contain Manuka Honey?
Our products contain MGO, which is extracted from the yummy manuka honey. MGO is tasteless and sugar-free, which is perfect for our Manuka Honey Toothpaste with Spearmint for babies!
How long has Manuka Honey been used for?
The Manuka plant was a prized plant used in rongoā (traditional Maori medicine). The plant itself was used for medicines, drinks and cosmetic products but it wasn’t until the European Honey Bee was introduced to New Zealand in 1839 that the honey was produced.
In 1980 the late New Zealand biochemist Peter Molan scientifically confirmed the medicinal qualities of Manuka Honey.
Why is Manuka Honey such a good product for babies?Nothing beats the natural properties of Manuka Honey in soothing nappy rash and protecting sensitive baby skin. Check out the QueenBee Pure range of bubba products to see that we have got your baby’s precious skin covered with soap, balm, lotion, shampoo and body wash and even toothpaste!